Sunday, July 13, 2014

Mumbai to Manila (Week 2)

Before I begin, a big "Thank You" to everybody who read my previous blog.. Your encouragement and suggestions are what make me want to continue!  


Coming back to Week 2...

Now that I've seemingly settled into my surroundings, found my co-ordinates and come to terms with my present state of being an expat, other needs took precedence over survival. (Read: Maslow's hierarchy)


This week was gruelling work-wise. We had a client visit and part of my job was to ensure they went through the entire recruitment and retention model and were confident about us as a potential business partner. What it actually meant was a rigorous walk-through, plenty of knowledge transfer sessions and a crash course on HR in Philippines. :) No easy task, let me tell you. Anyway, thanks to a wonderful team and functional leaders, we sailed through the entire visit. 

While on a professional front, this week was very satisfying, it did take a heavy toll personally. As a team we averaged 16-17 work-hours daily, which meant we got anywhere between 3-4 hours of sleep. As a natural consequence, I had no choice but to strike off any weekend trips and slept it out. The only choice I had was to satisfy my gastronomic needs. Yes, I said it!! I was longing for Indian food for some time. 

So on Saturday, I had an opportunity to try out  the Berjaya chain of hotels. Let me give you a background to this. Berjaya is the most popular chain of hotels, this side of the world. Owned by Vincent Tan, and based out of Malaysia, football fans would know the man as the new (and arrogant) owner of Cardiff City from the EPL. 

Anyway, the hotel is a 5 min walk away from my place, I decided to head out late. While the restaurant, El Prado was really nice with a warm ambience, the food honestly was not as appealing. To be fair, I was in the mood for Indian food while the restaurant only had Oriental and Mediterranean cuisine. So out of luck, I had no choice but to walk back to the hotel. Spoke to the chef here who came to my rescue with a Malabari Chicken Masala curry with rice and fried potatoes. (Heaven!!)  Essentially this is what Indian food looks like for locals...


The view from the roof deck more than made up for the evening.,..



Sunday was a sleep fest all over again. Woke up at 4:00 in the evening and decided to try out the swimming pool. The pool is on the roof deck and tries to build an "infinity pool" view once you are inside. I am not a swimmer and well the pool was soon taken over by more, shall we say, athletic and willing guests... :( (One of these days... Sigh!!)

I decided not to take any risks with my food this time and headed out to New Bombay, the most authentic and famous name in Indian cuisine out here! The New Bombay brand was initially a canteen  set up in 1994 for (you guessed it) Indians who came to work here. They now have a chain of 5 restaurants in different parts of Manila. I called in the one nearest to my hotel. The owner, Meenaxi, talked to me for the next 5 mins on the menu, delivery options and finally decided I'd rather dine-in at her restaurant. She was kind enough to give me directions and even sent one of her stewards to guide me. That is Indian hospitality for you!!
Home away from home


Messy, but delicious! :)
Was met with a super warm greeting by Meenaxi and her husband. We spoke for sometime before I realized I was too hungry to talk.... :) She promptly asked her chefs (Indians) to stir up a desi chicken curry with tawa roti. The picture does little justice to the quality of food.. It was the second best chicken curry I have tasted in my life (The award's still with you, Mum)! Rotis were as authentic as they can be...

An hour and a satisfied appetite later, I walked back to my hotel. Now in my previous blog, I talked about an exotic place next to where I stay. Well, today I decided I have to put up some pics and take you through Burgos.. the red light area of Manila. While I could not manage a lot of pics (obviously, nobody there wants to be photographed), this is a pre-cursor to my next week photo blog on Burgos.





As  I walked through this area, I saw a multitude of expats and locals with their girlfriends in tow. A typical sight in tourist spots, I guess. I was of course hounded by a couple of masseurs for a massage on demand.. Haha (it was more funny than awkward) Did an about turn after politely refusing, and walked straight back to the hotel. Next time, I am not venturing out there alone!

After a very happening half an hour, came back to my room and talked to my folks and the Mrs. Got to know she was having a super sundae... Ordered a New York Cheese Cake to round off the week... (aha revenge!!) 


That sums up this week I guess. I am super excited about the match tonight and supporting Messi and Co, if for nothing else but for the sake of Latin America. Poor guys were let down by an insipid Selecao (Thank God we sold David Luiz!). Those with me please pray and let the best team win!!

Peace 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Expats have the toughest time finding edible food abroad...but great foraging skills...luv the decision of not venturing out into red light areas alone...(had a Hostel movie flashback) But u must try some local cuisine too..maybe something non lethal...enjoy :)